Google Search

Custom Search

Friday 5 February 2010

End of another sucessful week...

The markets continued to fall as I expected this week - unfortunately I was a bit conservative in closing my single name shorts early, especially Lloyds which could have banked me another 140 points!

Nevertheless, the portfolio is performing well with the current value over £12k.

I closed the most recent S&P short opened @ 1,097 when it looked like we hit a support @ 1,067. Again, this was premature as the S&P dismissed this technical level and powered through, reaching a low of 1,050.5. I still have my long term short from 1,127 open with the 'double dip' in mind hoping that the high may be in for the time being.

From a shorter term prospective, I am looking for a retrace back towards 1,066 to sell short once more.

Levels to watch:
Support: 1,059 and 1,050 (March Fut); 1,039 (cash index)
Resistance: 1,065 and 1,078 (March Fut)

On the cash index, the 1,070 level looks key to me - it has acted as both a support and resistance level in the past. A breach above this level will mean re-evaluating my bearish view.

The long dollar trade is looking better everyday as it continues to power through the diagonal resistance. From a fundamental and macro point of view the trade is looking like a good long term bet.

I also cut half of the gold position - I was very bullish gold coming into this year, however the sentiment I am getting from the market is that the rally may have been a mini bubble which is always liable to burst. Since I lost some of my conviction, I closed half at a small but significant loss, keeping open a small position while keeping a close eye on my stop at 1,024.

Have a good weekend all!






No comments:

Post a Comment